Yesterday I did some doughnut making!
I can honestly say I've never fried anything. We don't eat fried foods!
But these doughnuts were so worth it!
Apple Cider Doughnuts
2 Cups Sugar
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 cups apple cider
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Line a large plate with paper towels (for draining.) In a paper bag combine 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon, shake to mix. Set aside.
2. Bring cider to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, under cider has reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, whisk baking powder, salt, 1 cup flour, remaining sugar and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk butter, eggs, yolk and cooled cider. Add cider mixture to flour mixture. Whisk until smooth. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until just combined. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
4. Pour oil into a large pot and heat until it reaches 375 degrees.
5. Turn dough out onto a well-floured counter top and coat fingers with flour. Pat dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a large and small cookie cutter, cut out doughnuts and holes. Re-pat dough, cutting as many doughnuts as possible.
6. Working in batches, carefully slide doughnut into hot oil. After about 1 minute the doughnut will rise to the surface. Flip over and cook for another 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to lined plate to drain. When doughnuts have cooled for about 1 minute, put in cinnamon and sugar bag..toss to coat. Remove to a clean plate.